What does a notary public do?
A notary public is a person who has the authority to:
- Serve as an official witness to the execution (signing) of contracts, agreements, and wide range of legal documents.
- Certify documents to be true copies of the original.
- Administer oaths, solemn affirmations, and declarations that are used for affidavits and statutory declarations.
Who is Caryma Sa’d?
Caryma Sa’d is a practicing lawyer, notary public and commissioner for oaths. She provides a variety of affordable document preparation and notarial services including:
- Affidavit or Statutory Declaration
- Certified Copy of Passport
- Certified True Copies
- Consent to Travel Document
- Letter of Invitation
- Notarization of Documents
Can a notary public refuse to provide services?
Yes, Caryma Sa’d reserves the right to refuse service to any prospective client. She may refuse service if:
- there is a conflict of interest;
- if you are on a blacklist for previous nonpayment; or
- if you are rude, dishonest, or disrespectful.
How long does commissioning or notarization take?
Most appointments can be completed within 10-15 minutes:
- Identity verification and payment.
- Lawyer confirms your document(s) are in order.
- Oath swearing or notarization takes place.
- Lawyer signs and imprints an embossed gold foil seal on the document(s).
- Final quality inspection for approval.
How will my document(s) be sealed?
Caryma’s notarization packages include a FREE gold sticker.
The use of coloured seals is not required by law in Ontario, but gold foil seals are the preferred and universally recognized method of sealing documents.
Why use a gold foil seal?
Gold foil seals add an element of sophistication and style to legal documents. In addition to their decorative purpose, gold seals serve several practical functions:
- They are distinct and recognized by government agencies, law offices, and schools across the world.
- They are also more visible than red seals or plain embossed imprints if the notarized document gets photocopied, scanned, or faxed.
How much will this cost?
The total price of notarial services is determined based on:
- whether drafting services are required;
- the length of your document(s);
- the location of your appointment; and
- the timing of your appointment.
The standard rate is $35.95, which includes two gold foil seals and two signatures. The discounted rate is $12.95, which includes one gold foil seal and two signatures. Each subsequent seal and signature costs $8.95. There are additional charges for travel expenditures, after-hours work, and emergency requests.
Prices do not include H.S.T., and are subject to change without notice.
When and where will my appointment be?
To book an appointment, please consult the online scheduling tool. You will be notified within 24 hours once your appointment is confirmed.
Regular hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM. Appointments booked outside these times are subject to an after hours fee.
Caryma’s office is conveniently located at 222 Spadina Avenue, Suite 276. For an additional fee, you can arrange for House Call Notary Services: meet at your choice of location, whether your home, place of business, or elsewhere.
What if I am late for my appointment?
Additional fees for waiting time beyond 2 minutes may apply if you or your document(s) are not ready at the appointment time.
If you are going to be late, please contact Caryma Sa’d so she can plan accordingly. Send a text or email saying,
“I am going to be late. Can we meet [10 minutes] later than scheduled?”
What if I need to cancel or re-schedule my appointment?
There is no charge for cancellations received at least 12 hours before your scheduled appointment.
You will be invoiced for the full amount if you do not provide sufficient cancellation notice, or if you are not adequately prepared for your appointment. This policy also applies if the notarization cannot be performed for reasons beyond Caryma’s control, such as the legal incapacity of any signing party.
Should I sign my document(s) before my appointment?
No, do not sign anything before your appointment. You must sign your document(s) in the physical presence of Caryma Sa’d for her to notarize your signature.
How can I prepare for my appointment?
- You must complete all document(s). This includes filling in forms, entering identification numbers, affixing attachments, and so on. However, you must NOT sign your name.
- You must arrange for all copies in advance. Printing and photocopying services are available at internet cafes, copy centres, public libraries, and office supply stores. There is a strict $5 per page surcharge for use of the photocopier during your appointment.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- You must bring government-issued identification
- one piece of photo identification (ex. passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card, driver’s license, status card, etc.); OR
- two pieces of non-photo identification (ex. SIN card, birth certificate, record of landing, etc.).
- If you want to certify true copies, you must bring the original document(s).
- You must bring the photocopies you want certified or notarized. Please arrange for all copies prior to your appointment. There is a $5 per page surcharge for use of the photocopier during your appointment.
What if I need an affidavit, letter, or statutory declaration?
Caryma offers reasonably priced bundles that include her drafting services. You will to give her:
- Information about the purpose of the affidavit, letter, or statutory declaration (ex. consent to travel letter, affidavit for a civil court case, letter of invitation for a visitor’s visa); AND
- The bullet point list of facts that need to be contained within the draft. If you are unsure what details are relevant, please email Caryma about the reason behind the document(s).
What if I need witnesses for my particular document(s)?
You should check the instructions with your document(s) for witness requirements. If witnesses are required you must bring them with you, and ensure that they have government-issued identification. Generally, witnesses must be of age in your jurisdiction and not involved in the matters addressed in the documents.
What if I make a mistake on my document(s)?
Caryma Sa’d offers FREE re-certification and re-notarization to correct missing or erroneous information. To take advantage of this guaranteed error-free coverage policy, you must provide:
- The rejection/amendment notice letter from the agency; AND
- The original notarized document(s) with Caryma’s seal and signature.
*This policy is only available to clients who sought Caryma’s services with respect to the original application or document. It is not available to individuals who initially notarized the document with another law firm, lawyer, or notary public.